Media Against Racism in Sport (MARS)
A Council of Europe’s Media Network against Racism, for Mutual Understanding and Intercultural Dialogue
A European Union / Council of Europe Joint Programme (January 2011 – December 2012)
The MARS programme ends in 2012 but we will continue the work. The new programme begins in 2013 and will last two years. CMFE will be one of the main partner in the Council of Europe's subequence programme: "MEDIANE – Media Exchanges for Diversity Inclusiveness, Anti-racism and Non-discrimination in Europe". Please contact us for further information & follow the upcoming news on our CMFE.EU website.
- 21.-24. November 2012 | EME in Bordeaux | Presentation | Agenda
- 13.-16.September | NME in Budapest | Presentation | Agenda
- 6.-9. July 2012 | NME in Berlin | Presentation | Agenda
- June 2012 | Newsletter No. 7 | If you want to get regulary updates, please use this formular
- April 2012 | Newsletter No. 5 & Newsletter No. 6
- 25.-28. April 2012 | NME in Dublin | Presentation | Agenda
- Februar 2012 | Newsletter No. 4 published
- 25.-28. Januar 2012 | NME in Cyprus
- 12. Januar 2012 | Final Deadline for NME in Cyprus | Learn more - Register
- December 2011 Newsletter No. 2 & No. 3 published
- 11.-14. Oktober 2011 | EME in Belgium
- 10. Oktober 2011 | Newsletter No. 1 published
- 14.-17. September 2011 | NME in Austria
- 6. September 2011 | Final Deadline for NME in Austria | Learn more - Register
- 11. August 2011 | Newsletter No. 0 published
- 1. August 2011 | 1st Call for the National Media Encounter published
CMFE is responsible for organizing five National and one European Encounter and Media Work Exchanges on Cross Production.
- 14. - 17. September 2011 National Media Encounter in Vienna (Austria) | Documents: Invitation [pdf] | Preregistration [pdf]
- November 2011 1st Call for Cross Media Visits
- 25. - 28. Januar 2012 National Media Encounter in Nicosia (Cyprus) | Documents: Invitation [pdf] | Pregistration
- 25. - 28. April 2012 National Media Encounter in Dublin (Ireland) | Documents: Presentation [pdf] | Agenda [pdf]
- 6. - 9. July 2012 National Media Encounter in Berlin (Germany)
- September 2012 National Media Encounter in Budapest (Hungary)
- November 2012 European Media Encounter in Bordeaux (France)
If you are interested to receive updates or want to suggest any contact, please use our formular. Thanks!
>>> Beside Cross Production, there are several other actvities in the field of Training & Literacy and Ethics. For further information on the whole MARS programme, please visit the Council of Europe page.
The media play a major role in shaping public opinion through the influence they have on the agenda and on the content of public debates. Racist and discriminatory attitudes are based on stereotypes and prejudices towards groups of population, usually minorities. Media have an important role to play in the understanding by the public of the social, economical and cultural dimensions of minority and diversity issues. Because the media are diverse both in terms of support and in terms of editorial lines, it is important to work with all types of media in order to reach the various segments of the public.
The MARS programme builds upon previous actions and recommendations made by Council of Europe bodies regarding media pluralism, diversity, fight against discrimination, and intercultural dialogue. Regarding the wide range of media productions, it will focus, though not exclusively, on sport media coverage. If Sport is a major field of investment for the media production and is an important area for building social cohesion, it can be a source of tensions between groups, communities, or even nations.
By working with all the media actors and by making them work together, MARS offers a way of exchanging and fostering intercultural dialogue between the various groups of the public within the media reach. In this sense, the MARS programme wants to foster mutual understanding, to counter stereotypes and to reduce discriminatory and racist attitudes.
The MARS programme will create a European media network against racism and for intercultural dialogue as an open and permanent platform of dialogue and action between mainstream media and diversity and ethnic minority media, for stimulating media cross-practices in the field of training, production and editorial management with the view to implementing an inclusive and intercultural approach to media content production.
Electronic database of contacts and resources collecting of cooperation offer, tools and media resources in the filed of training, production and editorial management.
National and European Media Encounters Crossing Professional Practices and Media Cross-Visits in the field of training, cross-production and editorial content management
Website and Database;
European Booklets on Media Training and on Editorial Management concerning Sport, Racism and Diversity;
Media Cross-Reports including on Sport, Racism and Diversity.
Building of a European network of media professionals against racism and for intercultural dialogue.
Increased understanding by media professionals of diversity, intercultural and discrimination issues.
Improvement of media coverage on diversity, intercultural and discrimination issues.
- European Union
- Community Media Forum Europe (CMFE)
- International Federation of Journalists (IFJ)
- European Federation of Journalists (EFJ)
- Vienne Institute for International Dialogue and Cooperation (VIDC)
- Football against Racism in Europe (FARE)
- Media Animation : communication & education
- Union of European Football Associations (UEFA)
- Observers: Lille University on Sport
Council of Europe
- Intercultural Cities network
- SPARDA Programme
- Media and Information Society Division
- Media and Information Society Division (EPAS)
- European Commission on Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
CMFE News Updates
Apply for CMFE membership
Support CMFE by donating/paying via Paypal
CMFE is one of the main Partner for MEDIANE, the Council of Europe’sMedia Exchanges for Diversity Inclusiveness, Antiracism and Nondiscrimination in Europe. More Infos: http://cmfe.eu/mediane
MARS - Media Against Racism in Sport
CMFE was one of the main Partner for MARS, the Council of Europe’s Media Network against Racism, for Mutual Understanding and Intercultural Dialogue. More Infos: http://cmfe.eu/mars
CMFE is supported by the EU under the Europe for Citizens Programme 2013