Media in Europe for Diversity Inclusiveness
A European Union / Council of Europe Joint Programme
January 2013 – December 2014
After our contribution 2011-2012 to the european MARS programme (Media Against Racism in Sport) [>>> MARS database] CMFE continued to be one of the main partner in the Council of Europe’s subequence programme: “MEDIANE – Media in Europe for Diversity Inclusiveness” that last from Januar 2013 until December 2014.
With the Council of Europe and partner like EFJ – The European Federation of Journalists, EJTA – The European Journalism Training Association or Media Animation CMFE called people from community media in EU member states and any other media to take part in meetings and exchanges.
- The programme was finalized in December 2014. Thanks for your contribution!
- November 2014 | The MEDIANE BOX is online: www.mediane-box.eu
- September 2014 | Call for European Encounter “Promoting the approach of diversity inclusiveness in media production and its index” in Brussels (12-14 November 2014) | Learn more
- April 2014 | Call for Thematic Encounter “Diversity inclusiveness in journalism & media training & literacy” in London (11-13 June 2014) | Learn more
- Februar 2014 | Call for Thematic Encounter “Towards an Inclusive Approach in Media Content Design & Production” in Split (28-30 April 2014) | Learn more | Register
- Januar 2014 | Call for Journalism Practice & Diversity Inclusiveness Thematic Encounter in Würzburg (11-13 April 2014) | Learn more | Register
- Januar 2014 | Call for Testing a Tool on Media Diversity Inclusiveness European Encounter in Lisbon (26-28 March 2014) | Learn more | Register
- November 2013 | MEDIANE Newsletter No. 4 | Read here
- July 2013 | 3rd MEDIANE Newsletter | Read here
- June 2013 | Call for Journalism Training Encounter in Florence (23-25 October 2013) | Learn more | Register
- June 2013 | Call for Journalism Practice Encounter in Thessaloniki (4-6 October 2013) | Learn more | Register
- June 2013 | Call for Production Encounter in Groningen (EU North) (18-20 September 2013) | Learn more | Register
- June 2013 | Call for Production Encounter in San Sebastian (EU South) (10-12 September 2013) | Learn more | Register
- June 2013 | 2nd MEDIANE Newsletter | Read here
- April 2013 | Call for Media Index on Diversity Inclusiveness | Learn more | Questionnaire
- April 2013 | Call for European Exchanges of Media Practises | Learn more | Register
- April 2013 | 1st European Encounter in Nicosia | 10-12 June 2013 | Learn more | Register
- April 2013 | 1st MEDIANE Newsletter | Read here
European & subregional Encounter
The programme started with the 1st MEDIANE European Encounter in Nicosia (Cyprus) from 10. to 12. June 2013, co-organized by our member Cyprus Community Media Center (CCMC). Around 80 participants contributed to the first European encounter and jointly worked on practical tools and practices for diversity inclusiveness in the areas of media production, journalism training and editorial management. This Encounter was followed by other thematic and European encounters (Spain/Netherlands, September 2013 / Greece/Italy, October 2013).
European Exchanges of Media Practices
Another or additional possibility to contribute was the MEDIANE “European Exchanges of Media Practices” (EEMP’s). The MEDIANE programme invited media professionals to commit to exchange with European colleagues on media practices to include diversity and non-discrimination in their daily media coverage and thus to enrich their professional practices. MEDIANE supports 160 EEMPs with pre-paid travel tickets and a fixed lump-sum grant of 500€.
Media Index on Diversity Inclusiveness – MEDIANE BOX
Finaly based on the MEDIANE outputs and the participants’ feedback the Media Index on Diversity Inclusiveness (MEDIANE BOX), a self-monitoring and action-support tool for diversity inclusiveness, was made accessible for media outlets and professionals in order to increase their capacity of including diversity in their daily media work. It was published in November 2014 and will remain online at least for the next 10 years.
MEDIANE BOX online: www.mediane-box.eu
All detailed informations you can also read in the MEDIANE Newsletters.
9. – 12. June 2013 | 1. European Encounter Cyprus/Nicosia
12. – 14. September 2013 | 1. Thematic Encounter (Production) Spain/San Sebastian
18. – 20. September 2013 | 2. Thematic Encounter (Production) Netherland/Groningen
4. -6. October 2013 | 3. Thematic Encounter (Journalism Practice) Greece/Thessaloniki
23.-25. October 2013 | 4. Thematic Encounter (Journalism and Media Training and Literacy)Italy/Florence
26.-28. March 2014| 2. European Encounter Portugal/Lisbon
11.-14. April 2014 | 6. Thematic Encounter (Journalism Practice) Germany/Würzburg
28.-30. April 2014 | 5. Thematic Encounter (Production) Croatia/Split
June 2014 | 7. Thematic Encounter (Journalism & Media Training & Literacy) UK
November 2014| 3. European Encounter Brussels/Belgium
The programme is already finalized, but if you have any question, please get in contact with Stefan Tenner, CMFE MEDIANE Coordinator.
Today, in Europe, too many people are not very visible, in fact some remain invisible, on screen! Even worse, when these same groups appear in the media, they are confined to very specific roles and consigned to limited topics. Thus, as different groups are barely visible, they are being denied their voice in the democratic debate! (cf.Media, Diversity Inclusiveness – what is the problem?)
This is why the joint European Union (EU)/Council of Europe (CoE) programme MEDIANE – Media in Europe for Diversity Inclusiveness, has chosen to focus on the media’s abilities and capacities to include diversities of today’s European societies in the production process as well as in the designing of media content, in particular of news that contributes to inform the public opinion.
Building upon various recommendations of the CoE bodies on media pluralism and diversity expression, the achievements of the 2008-2010 antidiscrimination campaign and its joint EU/CoE programme MARS – Media Against Racism in Sport, MEDIANE aims at considering diversity and non discrimination as ongoing angles of media coverage. Through this approach, MEDIANE wants to encourage truly inclusive modes of media content design and production.
To do so, MEDIANE offers the media and their professionals (journalism students and trainers, journalists, media managers, etc.) the opportunity of committing themselves to sharing professional practices, either during European or thematic encounters or on one-to-one basis, through European Exchanges MEDIANE activity. Beyond this sharing of experiences, these professionals will be invited to build a Media Index on diversity inclusiveness. This index shall be a tool, for the media and media professionals, to monitor their capacities to include diversity in the design and production of media content. It is also intended to serve as a decision making tool in favour of truly inclusive and intercultural modes of media content design and production.
By doing so, the proposed project aims at giving both the media and their professionals the opportunities to renew their working methods, and thus find new ways for their proper development, as well as strengthening the fight against racism and fostering mutual understanding.